If you are going Vrindavan for the first time, chances are that you can get stuck in many places. Here are some do’s and don’ts that can help a first timer sail smoothly!
1) If you going by your car to Vrindavan, make sure that you park your car in the hotel/guest house/Ashram etc. Vrindavan is easily accessible by e-rickshaws and autos. The e-rickshaws will take you from one temple to another easily and they charge nominal amount per person. Taking your car to every temple is a headache as you have to first find a parking and then walk as well till the temple.
2) Beware of pickpocketers in the temples specially the crowded ones like Banke Bihari temple. You literally get drifted in the crowd and you may not even realise when your wallet or gold chain is gone!
3) Monkeys at times become a big nuisance for the people visiting Vrindavan. Do not wear sunglasses or spectacles where you see monkeys. These monkeys snatch your sunglasses and you will have to bribe them by giving something to drink or eat. Yes! This is true! We witnessed such incidents where the monkeys took away the spectacles from people around. They literally pleaded the monkey to return it back. The shopkeepers then tell you to buy something and give it to the monkey.
4) Whenever visiting any religious place, make sure that you have enough cash in hand. Debit/Credit cards etc. work less in such places. Whether you want to try street shopping, eat at dhabas, pay to rickshawalas, pay for Pooja Samagri, everything needs cash. So, keep cash handy.
5) Before visiting any temple, cross check with various sources for the temple timings. There are temples closing from 10:30 am in the morning to 12:30 am in the afternoon and in the same way for evenings as well. At times, people fool you with wrong timings as well and you land you reaching the temple sans Darshan!
6) Never ever come in the influence of people outside temples who say they would help you visit such and such temples and will tell you the history of the temples. Chances are that in the end they will dupe you with making charity for cows, widowed women etc etc. If you wish to pay charity then its fine, otherwise beware!
This is my first hand experience of Vrindanvan. Do let me know in the comments below if you wish to add any!